For Attending Athletes

Camp Forms

In order for you to participate in a Brown University's summer sports camp, all campers are required to complete a checklist of items that includes camp forms.

Forms will be sent out in mid spring. Please be aware they will include the following:

Required Forms

All Campers will need to complete:

  1. Sport Camps Student Acceptance
  2. Medical Authorization and Health History
    • Includes Proof of Health Insurance: All campers are required to show proof of health insurance with a US carrier upon submission of the Medical Authorization and Health History Form. If you cannot provide proof of insurance you will be contacted to purchase the Brown University limited insurance policy for the duration of each camp session for $25, per camp.
  3. Physician's Immunization and Medical Report
    • Needed to Complete: You will need a physician signature or a copy of the camper’s immunization record from a physician's office.
  4. Important Health Advisory: Due to recent measles outbreaks within the United States, all residential Pre-College students must have completed their measles vaccinations at least two weeks prior to starting their program. Athletes who arrive on-campus unaccompanied and do not have appropriate records will be unable to attend camp until they provide appropriate records, or they depart. Medical or religious exemptions will not be accepted for the measles.


Brown University Sports Camps bring together campers from the United States and other countries who share an interest in seeking athletic enrichment and growth, and provides an environment that supports the pursuit of these goals.

To ensure that campers have successful, fulfilling, and engaging experiences, campers and parents/guardians are expected to read and abide by the codes and policies below. Campers enrolled in the University’s Sports Camps must be capable of accepting, and are expected to take, responsibility for their behavior. The Sports Camps are committed to maintaining standards that are conducive to the pursuit of athletic excellence.

Campers and parents should carefully review Policies prior to arrival.

Traveling to and from Brown's Campus

Providence is served by Amtrak and Boston Commuter Rail. The Providence Amtrak train station is a short cab ride to the University.

Providence is served by PeterPan bus lines. Their Providence terminals are a short cab ride to the University.

Air: Providence T.F. Green Airport
T.F. Green International Airport, located in the city of Warwick, is approximately 10 miles from the University. A variety of ground transportation is available from the terminal to Providence.

Air: Boston Logan Airport
Brown University is about an hour and thirty minutes drive from Logan Airport in Boston, Massachusetts. Campers will need to find their own transportation from Boston Logan Airport to and from campus.

Unaccompanied Student Travel
In recent years, bus, train, and airline carriers have instituted a range of policies related to unaccompanied minors traveling. Brown Sports Camps are unable to meet many of these requirements, so we urge families to review their likely carrier’s policies early and make decisions about travel based on the assumption that students must arrive on campus for orientation and depart campus at the end of their program without assistance from the Sports Camps programs.

Bringing a Car to Campus
Residential campers are not allowed to bring motor vehicles to campus. Commuter campers may only use motor vehicles for transportation to and from Brown. Commuter students are prohibited from transporting other students in their motor vehicles.
Day campers who must commute to campus by car should find legal on-street parking for the duration of the camp day or utilize Lot 68 - Self Pay Visitor Parking Garage, also called the Power Street Parking Garage, located at 111 Power Street. The visitor entrance is located at the intersection of Power and Thayer Streets. Unauthorized vehicles parked in other locations will be ticketed and/or towed.

Living in a Residence Hall

Each residence hall room provides typical college furniture: a bed, desk and chair, dresser, trash can, and access to wireless internet. Linens, pillow cases and towels (Twin Extra-Long) are not provided for campers. Please also note that the residence halls do not have A/C. Bringing a fan is recommended. Most campers find that cell phones are a convenient way to stay in touch with family members while at camp.

A team of carefully selected and trained Residence Directors (RDs) and Residential Advisors (RAs) live in the residence halls. These skilled and caring adult professionals and Brown undergraduates are on hand to assist you in navigating the transition from home to your sports camp.

To provide a typical Brown University experience, and due to the volume of residential campers arriving each week, campers are randomly assigned a roommate so that they can build friendships with new people. Campers are typically assigned to double occupancy rooms or single-sex suites in various residence halls on campus. Campers may request a roommate in advance of arrival when they register. Roommate requests will be honored when possible but are not guaranteed.

There are laundry facilities in the basements of all residence halls. All washers and dryers operate using Bear Bucks. Campers who wish to use washers or dryers will need to purchase Bear Bucks Guest Cards – cash cards used in these campus machines. Cards may be purchased from any of the several ValuePort III machines located across campus. As unused funds are not refundable, campers are advised to add money in small increments. Please DO NOT add funds or Bear Bucks to your Camp ID.

Additional Housing (Early Arrival/Late Departure)

Although campers should make every effort to plan their travel to Brown based on their camp start and end date, procedures are in place to accommodate 1 day early arrival and 1 day late departure for those campers who are traveling from long distances and need to work around flight schedules. The cost for additional housing is $100/night and includes room and board (Dinner is available until 7:30 pm in the dining hall).

All campers interested in Additional Housing must request permission and register online no later than one week before the start of camp. Please contact [email protected] to request and receive authorization code.

This service is only available June 13, 2020 - July 2, 2020 and July 6, 2020 - August 7, 2020.

What to Bring

Please check your Camp Packet for a list of camp-specific items to bring to camp. Other common necessities include:

  • Fan, residence halls do not have air conditioning
  • Clothing: Shorts, T-shirts, pants, etc.
  • Sheets for your twin, extra long size bed (36 by 80 inches, approximately 6 inches thick.)
  • Pillow
  • A blanket
  • You may also wish to bring a mattress cover or pad
  • Sunscreen
  • Bathrobe
  • Umbrella/raincoat
  • Towels and face cloths
  • Alarm clock
  • Water bottle
  • Toothbrush, toiletries, soap

You may NOT bring pets, cooking devices, air conditioners, or motor vehicles to campus (except commuter students).

Room Keys

Brown University issues one room key to each athlete assigned a room in a Brown residence halls during summer months. Athletes are expected to be in possession of their room key whenever they leave the room. Residence hall rooms and windows should be locked when not occupied. Residence hall entrances remain locked at all times.

Campers must notify residence life staff of lost or stolen keys. Every effort will be made to change locks within 24 hours of a report that a room key is missing.

Key Return

All keys are due immediately upon checking out of your room. This is necessary both for reasons of security and to allow us to make the room available for the next resident. Campers receive information about where and how to return keys once on campus.

Health Services

If a camper becomes ill or injured while at camp, staff should be notified immediately. Onsite athletic trainers should assess any injuries campers experience while participating in athletic activities. At all other times, campers should notify their RA or other residential staff for medical concerns or emergencies. All campers will be issued a card with emergency phone numbers at check-in. Campers are expected to carry this card with them at all times.

Situations involving further medical attention are referred to Health Services or local area hospitals, and parents/guardians will be notified if campers need to be transported to one of these facilities.

Care for personal health is critical. Poor hygiene, nutritional, and sleeping habits can be signs of emotional distress and lead to academic and social difficulties and illnesses. Should an athlete exhibit behavior which causes the camp staff to have a concern for the student’s health, that athlete may be required to see a healthcare professional for a consultation at Brown University's Health Services, Counseling and Psychological Services on campus, or an appropriate non-Brown affiliated clinic off-campus. If relevant staff determine that an athlete is unable to function independently and needs resources that Sports Camps is unable to provide and/or is impacting the community, the athlete may be asked to leave the camp. Should this situation occur, parents/guardians will be expected to pick-up their student within a reasonable amount of time.

Accessibility Services

Sports camp athletes may request accommodations based on a learning, psychological and/or physical disability, including medical conditions, temporary injuries and significant food allergies. Please be aware that all accommodation requests will be considered, however there may be limits as to what can be provided without sufficient notice. We recommend submitting requests (via the Medical Authorization and Health History Form) a minimum of two weeks in advance of the program start date. Please email [email protected] or call 401-863-1015 with any questions regarding accessibility while on campus.

Safety and Security

Personal & Community Safety

The safety of sports campers is of paramount importance. Access to residence halls is restricted to residents and authorized members of the University community. All residence hall entrances are locked 24 hours a day and can only be accessed with an authorized ID card.

At check-in, each camper is issued a card with emergency phone numbers. Campers are expected to carry this card with them at all times. Residence halls are equipped with smoke alarms, pull stations, and fire extinguishers.

Brown’s campus is part of what is known as "College Hill" in the city of Providence and, as such, is open to the public. Campers are frequently cautioned to walk in groups and always let someone know where they are going.

There are 140 emergency phones, also known as "blue light phones," located on buildings, elevators and in green areas on campus. All residence halls and classroom buildings have a blue-light phone at each entrance. Students can call anywhere on campus, or be connected to the Department of Public Safety (DPS) for assistance or emergencies.

Brown University Department of Public Safety (DPS)

DPS Phone: (401) 863-3322 and TDD : (401) 863-1740.

Personnel are on duty 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Department of Public Safety (DPS) Officers routinely patrol the campus and surrounding Providence neighborhoods in cars, bikes, and foot patrols. DPS officers are trained at the Municipal Police Academy and are empowered by the State of Rhode Island to enforce state statutes. Security officers are trained by the department and, along with the campus police officers, are authorized by the University to enforce University rules and regulations. Both police and security officers patrol the campus 24-hours a day to deter crime, develop community relationships and respond to calls for service and assistance. The department also provides the community with the resources and education necessary to take responsibility for making informed choices about their personal safety.

Fire Safety

Residence halls are equipped with smoke alarms, pull stations and fire extinguishers. Know the key location of the nearest pull station, fire extinguisher and egress stairway. Familiarize yourself with evacuation routes in your building. Tampering with fire equipment is a violation of law. For more information about fire safety, please speak with your Resident Assistant. Learn more about Fire Safety at Brown »