Camp Policies

Sports Camps Principles, Codes and Policies

Brown University Sports Camps bring together campers from the United States and other countries who share an interest in seeking athletic enrichment and growth, and provides an environment that supports the pursuit of these goals.

To ensure that campers have successful, fulfilling, and engaging experiences, campers and parents/guardians are expected to read and abide by the codes and policies below. Campers enrolled in the University’s Sports Camps must be capable of accepting, and are expected to take, responsibility for their behavior. The Sports Camps are committed to maintaining standards that are conducive to the pursuit of athletic excellence.

Camp coaches and staff, residential life and other staff are charged with implementing Sports Camp codes and policies, and supporting campers’ success.

Camper Challenge/Concern Who to Contact
Social/Emotional Social/Emotional Resident Advisor, Resident Director, Sport Camp Assistants
Athletic Coaching Staff
Balancing Social/Emotional and Academic Life Resident Advisor, Resident Director, Sport Camp Assistants
Other questions / 401-863-5988

*Campers receive information at check-in with contact information they can use for assistance 24 hours/day.

Principles of the Brown University Community

We, as members of the Brown University community – faculty, students, and staff – are dedicated to supporting and maintaining a scholarly community in which all share together in the common enterprise of learning. As a central aim, Brown University promotes intellectual inquiry through vigorous discourse, both oral and written. The fundamental principles that must necessarily undergird this aim include:

  • respect for the integrity of the academic process;
  • individual integrity and self-respect;
  • respect for the freedoms and privileges of others; and
  • respect for University resources.

In becoming a part of Brown University, we accept the rights and responsibilities of membership in the University’s academic and social community, and assume the responsibility to uphold the University’s principles.

Respect for the Integrity of the Academic Process

The rights and responsibilities that accompany academic freedom are at the heart of the intellectual purposes of the University. Our conduct as community members should protect and promote the University’s pursuit of its academic mission. We are all, therefore, expected to conduct ourselves with integrity in our learning, teaching and research, and in the ways in which we support those endeavors.

Individual Integrity

In order to ensure that the University can dedicate itself fully to its academic and educational vision, it is expected that an individual’s personal integrity will be reflected not only in honest and responsible actions but also in a willingness to offer direction to others whose actions may be harmful to themselves or the community. The University expects that members of the Brown community will be truthful and forthright. The University expects that community members will not engage in behavior that endangers their own sustained effectiveness or that has serious ramifications for their own safety, welfare, academic well-being or professional obligations, or for that of others.

Respect for the Freedoms and Privileges of Others

We strive for a sense of community in which the individual growth of all members is advanced through the cultivation of mutual respect, tolerance, and understanding. Brown University values and encourages individuality while also affirming the community dimensions of academic life. A socially responsible community provides a structure within which individual freedoms may flourish without threatening the privileges or freedoms of other individuals or groups.

The University is committed to honest, open, and equitable engagement with racial, religious, gender, ethnic, sexual orientation and other differences. The University seeks to promote an environment that in its diversity is integral to the academic, educational and community purposes of the institution.

Respect for University Resources

All community members must respect the general resources and physical property of the University. Such resources are assets in which community members have a vested interest, as these resources specifically support the institutional mission.

A. Code of Conduct

To uphold the Principles of the University Community, members of Brown University are required to abide by the following expectations. These rules are applicable beginning on the athlete’s camp(s) start date through to the end of their camp(s), including between consecutive camp(s) if the athlete remains on the Brown campus, is participating in a camp sponsored trip, at an affiliate site, or elsewhere.

A.1. Act as good citizens by showing respect and courtesy to all members of the University community, including fellow students, staff, instructors, campus neighbors, and affiliates.

A.2. Be truthful in personal and athletic engagements.

A.3. Use methods of expression that are appropriate for a healthy living-learning environment. Obscene, derogatory, and abusive language is prohibited.

A.4. Abide by the University's Statement of Nondiscrimination that prohibits discrimination or the facilitation of discrimination of any kind including, but not limited, to discrimination based on sex, race, color, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, status as a veteran, or disability. Participants must also abide by the Sexual and Gender-Based Harassment, Sexual Violence, Relationship and Interpersonal Violence and Stalking policy which outlines prohibited conduct related to nonconsensual sexual contact, sexual misconduct, and gender-based harassment.

A.5. Take care of University and other community members’ property, including equipment, furnishings, and facilities (including but not limited to, residence halls, classrooms, athletic facilities, dining halls, indoor and outdoor common areas), and private property.

A.6. Behave in ways that do not expose oneself or others to injury or endangerment, regardless of intent.

A.7. Not commit, or threaten to commit, acts of violence on people or property.

A.8. Not engage in any form of harassment, bribery, or bullying. Harassment consists of any type of conduct (including but not limited to, cyber, written, verbal, graphic, physical, stalking, or sexual) which has the purpose or effect of unreasonably interfering with an individual’s performance, or which creates an intimidating, hostile, or offensive learning or residential environment.

A.9. Adhere to all federal, state, and local laws.

A.10. Understand and abide by all aspects of the Code of Conduct, as well as those rules and guidelines presented by staff and instructors during the camp.

A.11. Use University facilities only for academic, athletic, and residential purposes. No commercial activities are allowed within the residence halls.

A.12. Not bring any of the following items to campus or off-site camps including firearms, knives, ammunition, fireworks, explosives, gas operated stoves, motorcycles and vehicles (unless a Commuter student: see section D.8. in this document), hot plates, heating appliances, space heaters, air conditioners (unless medically authorized and registered with the University-see section C.6 in this document), torchiere halogen lamps, candles (including tealights), open flames, any external heating elements, hoverboards, or Galaxy 7 phones. Refrigerators must not exceed 4 cubic feet, 1.5 amps, and 100 watts.

A.13. Not use, possess, or be in the presence of alcohol, illegal drugs (including marijuana), or related paraphernalia. Participants may use personal over-the-counter and prescription medication, but may not share or use other’s.

A.14. Abide by curfew and quiet hours requirements.

Failure to abide by this code, policies, and practices here and the applicable University policies, may result in disciplinary action, which could include but is not limited to: a warning, consultation with parent/guardian, or in cases of serious or repeated incidences, dismissal from the camp. Failure to abide by this information includes assisting or attempting to assist another individual in violating the Code and policies. More information about dismissals can be found below in section F4 of this document.

If participants or parents/guardians have questions about the Code of Conduct, they should contact the Sports Camps Office as soon as possible, ideally prior to beginning a camp.

B. Computing Facilities & Internet Access

Brown has its own standards of behavior for users of its computing facilities and services (see Brown's Acceptable Use Policy for computing). Brown does not actively monitor Internet activity, and takes no responsibility for the content athletes find while on the internet.

C. Residence Hall Policies

In order to support athletes in their successful participation in Sports Camps, all athletes must abide by the following guidelines. Failure to follow these guidelines and established expectations for social and residential conduct as indicated in the Code of Conduct may result in disciplinary action.

  • C.1. Residential athletes, are required to sleep in their assigned Brown University’s residence hall and room.. Athletes are randomly assigned to single, double, triple, and quad occupancy rooms so they can build relationships with new people. Sports Camps does honor roommate requests when possible but it is not guaranteed. Athletes enrolled in the same camp are not necessarily housed in the same residence hall.
  • C.2. Respect the rights of roommates, including but not limited to, the right to privacy and free use of the shared room.
  • C.3. Obey quiet hours that are established to allow athletes to rest and sleep undisturbed. Athletes may socialize quietly during quiet hours in the lounges. When Quiet Hours are in effect no noise should be heard from another room or area. All other hours are considered “courtesy” hours. During Courtesy Hours residents must comply with the requests of others to lessen or eliminate noise. Causing excess noise and/or undue disturbance is also prohibited at all times.
  • C.4. Abide by curfew, including checking-in face-to-face with an athlete’s respective Resident Assistant every evening by the designated curfew time, remaining on their floor until 6:00AM the next morning. A protocol is followed if an athlete is even one minute late for curfew. That protocol includes the University’s Department of Public Safety, parents, and senior administrators. Athletes who are delayed in returning to campus by curfew must contact a Resident Assistant by phone in advance of the curfew time, and may still be subject to disciplinary consequences for their tardiness.
Program Day(s) Quiet Hours Curfew Hours
Sports Camps Daily 10:00PM-6:00AM
  • C.5. Room changes or swaps are prohibited in the first 24 hours of the official start date of a camp. Following the first 24 hours, athletes may not change their room assignment without authorization from the Residence Director who will determine whether a request can be accommodated.
  • C.6. Disability Services: Residence halls are not air conditioned and some do not have elevators. Athletes may not use air conditioners in their rooms unless to accommodate a disability. The Student and Employee Accessibility Services (SEAS) is the designated office that administers requests related to disabilities. If an athlete needs an air conditioner for medical reasons or any other accommodation within the residence hall they should begin the registration and request process by submitting a Disability Accommodations or Services Request Form. Along with this form, athletes may need to submit complete documentation. All inquiries regarding disability related accommodations and services should be directed to SEAS at 401-863-9588 or More information can also be found on the SEAS Website under School of Professional Studies (SPS) Programs.
  • C.7. Room Keys: Brown University issues one room key to each athlete assigned a room in a Brown residence halls during summer months. Athletes are expected to be in possession of their room key whenever they leave the room.
    1. C.7.a. Lock-outs: Athletes should contact the Residential Advisor on call for their cluster if they are locked out of their room outside of business hours. During business hours, athletes should go to the key room on the 3rd floor of Grad E to sign out a key. There is a charge for each time a lock-out occurs (first lock out the fee is waived; second lock out is $25; each subsequent lock-out is $40). Athletes who borrow a key from the key room for a lock-out are expected to return the borrowed key within the same day.
    2. C.7.b. Lost or Stolen Keys (includes keys not returned at check-out and borrowed and not returned from key room). Report lost or stolen keys to the key room in the Office of Residential Life, located on the 3rd Floor of Graduate Center E, 42 Charlesfield Street / 401-863-3502. Every effort will be made to change locks within 24 hours of a report that a room key is missing. The cost of a lock change varies depending on the type and configuration of the room. A standard single room lock change fee would be $120 and for a suite could be as high as $460. No waivers are given for lost keys or lock changes.
    3. C.7.c. Key Return: All athlete keys are due immediately upon checking out of their room. This is necessary both for reasons of security and to allow the University to prepare the room for the next resident. Athletes receive information about where and how to return keys once on campus.
  • C.8. Athletes are responsible for the condition of their rooms and hallways. Athletes are responsible for disposing of their own trash in the designated areas within and around the residence halls. Athletes will be held liable, individually or jointly, for damaged or missing University property. Camp coaching staff including Brown University and visiting coaches will be notified of athletes found responsible of any damaged or missing property.
  • C.9. Visitors in Residence Halls. Only Brown University Sports Athletes are allowed in the residence halls, visitors are not permitted, with the exception of parents/guardians for move in or move out. Athletes may not visit the residence halls of college-age students; nor may they entertain college-age students in Sports Camps residence halls.
  • C.10. Overnight Guests. Sports Athletes may not have overnight guests in the residence halls.
  • C.11. Housing for students enrolled in two consecutive sports camps may move to a new residence hall at the end of their first session, so athletes can form bonds and relationships with athletes who are in their camp and on campus for the same duration of time. Athletes are responsible for moving their belongings. In most cases, the residence halls are located in close proximity to each other. Note: athletes who are enrolled in consecutive sessions of the same sport may stay in their original room assignment in most cases, with a new roommate.

D. General Campus Policies

  • D.1. Early arrival/late departure. Although athletes should make every effort to plan their travel to Brown based on their camp start and end date, procedures are in place for most residential camps to accommodate 1 day early arrival and 1 day late departure for those athletes who are traveling from long distances and need to work around flight schedules. Please email for details.
  • D.2. Overnight Leave. Athletes may not be away from campus overnight without permission. Athletes who need to be away from campus overnight or on weekends must inform their Resident Assistant and request permission from their parent/guardian. An overnight permission form is required for each instance, detailing date and time of departure, destination, expected time of return, and emergency contact information. A request may be submitted any of the following ways:
    • Through the online Overnight Leave Form »
    • By printing the Overnight Leave Form and either fax 401-863-1331 or email ( 48 hours in advance of departure. Note: This policy is intended for athletes who need to return home for a family obligation or visit with a relative in the nearby area. It is not intended for athletes to stay out after curfew. Athletes who do not have permission to leave campus overnight will be treated as a missing person
  • D.3. Identification (ID) Cards. Each athlete is issued a Brown University ID card that is the property of the University. This card opens the exterior door of the residence hall and provides access to the dining halls, and athletic center. Athletes should use only their own card, and never lend the card to another athlete. If an athlete has lost their ID Card, they should they should contact their Resident Advisor.
  • D.4. Tobacco use, including smoking and smokeless tobacco products (e.g., vape pens, hookahs) is not permitted in the residence halls, any other University building, at indoor and outdoor camp-sanctioned events, or within 35 feet of a University building.
  • D.5. Animals are not permitted in any University building, even on a temporary basis, except for service animals and approved emotional support animals. Athletes should contact the SEAS office for more information about documenting a disability (information is available in section C.6).
  • D.6. Unauthorized Audio/Video. Any actual or attempted unauthorized use of electronic or other devices to make an audio or video record of any person without prior knowledge or consent, when such a recording is likely to cause injury or distress to the subject of the audio or video record is prohibited.
  • D.7. Respond to and comply with University questions and requests. Willful failure to respond to reasonable questions or requests from instructors, residential staff, or Camp/University administration with the effect of disrupting Pre-College or University operations or authorized non-University activities occurring on campus is prohibited.
  • D.8. Motor Vehicles. The operation of motor vehicles by residential athletes is prohibited. Commuter or Day athletes may only use motor vehicles for transportation to and from the Brown campus. Athletes who must commute to campus by car are required to purchase a parking permit from the Transportation Office. The Transportation Office is located at 69 Brown Street - Page Robinson Hall. Athletes are not permitted to transport other athletes in their motor vehicles. Any questions or concerns regarding the use of automobiles, please call 401-863-5988.

E. Security and Personal Safety

Below is information about how the Sports Camps promote personal safety for its athletes.

  • E.1. Care for personal health is critical. Poor hygiene, nutritional, and sleeping habits can be signs of emotional distress and lead to academic and social difficulties and illnesses. Should an athlete exhibit behavior which causes the camp staff to have a concern for the student’s health, that athlete may be required to see a healthcare professional for a consultation at Brown University's Health Services, Counseling and Psychological Services on campus, or an appropriate non-Brown affiliated clinic off-campus. If relevant staff determine that an athlete is unable to function independently and needs resources that Sports Camps is unable to provide and/or is impacting the community, the athlete may be asked to leave the camp. Should this situation occur, parents/guardians will be expected to pick-up their student within a reasonable amount of time.
  • E.2. Personal safety. The Brown campus is in the middle of the city of Providence and is open; persons unaffiliated with the University have access to the grounds. Athletes are strongly encouraged to walk in groups and always let someone know where they are going. An athlete should not leave the residence hall area alone after dark. Athletes should be aware of their surroundings at all times and consider not focusing on their mobile devices or have both earbuds in. Safety precautions are reviewed thoroughly at orientation and the first unit meeting with residential staff.
  • E.3. Fire safety. Regulations must be followed. When a fire alarm sounds, athletes must evacuate the building immediately. Tampering with fire equipment, including fire extinguishers, smoke alarms and alarm boxes, is a violation of law and carries a fine of up to $1,000. Complete fire safety regulations are posted in the residence halls and are reviewed during meetings with residential staff.
  • E.4. Property. Athletes are urged not to bring valuables to campus. The University is not responsible for personal property of athletes, including items delivered to the University on the athlete's behalf and property in individual rooms. It is strongly urged that all athletes have personal property insurance to protect from loss or damage due to theft, fire, flood, vandalism, and any other hazards. Any belongings left behind during any such period are and remain the sole responsibility of the registered occupant. The University reserves the right to remove unidentified/unclaimed items from all areas in the residence halls. Athletes wishing to claim items left behind should contact Facilities Management Services within 48 hours of moving out: 401-863-7800.
  • E.5. Lost & Found. The major lost and found locations on campus include:
Office Location Telephone Number
Department of Public Safety 75 Charlesfield Street 401-863-1663
Dining Services 401-863-3343
The Libraries 401-863-2165
Sports Camps Campus Life Grad Center E:
42 Charlesfield Street

Bring any lost item found on campus to the Department of Public Safety at 75 Charlesfield Street.

In accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act), the Department of Public Safety is required to publish an annual security report which includes statistics mandated by the Clery Act. The public can obtain a copy of this report by contacting Public Safety at 401-863-3103 or accessing the following website:

F. Disciplinary Procedures

F.1. Non-Academic Offenses

Athletes are expected to act responsibly and autonomously at all times, but will be subject to guidance and direction from residential staff. If inappropriate behavior occurs, residential staff will intervene and discourage such actions. Residential staff are responsible for requiring compliance with camp policies and procedures. They will bring inappropriate behavior to the attention of the camp administration. In a case where a student, in the judgment of the residential staff, fails to meet the established expectations for social and residential conduct, or shows disregard for a member of the residential staff's directives, disciplinary action will be taken.

F.2. Disciplinary Meetings

The disciplinary system is not meant to mirror the legal system. The principles of the Sports Camps and Pre-College programs and the goals of balancing participant education with accountability provide a philosophical foundation distinct from the legal system. Athletes will receive a charge letter describing the alleged violation. Disciplinary meetings are conducted by a dean or other appropriate staff. In determining whether or not the Code of Conduct and/or policy has been violated, a dean or other designated staff member will base their determinations on the standard of preponderance of evidence. Parental notification may take place prior to the outcome of a disciplinary meeting depending on the seriousness of the incident. In an effort to encourage athletes to take responsibility for their behavior and use the experience to make good decisions, parents may not be notified of a disciplinary meeting until the outcome has been determined.

F.3. Non-Academic Consequences

(May include one or more of the following outcomes not necessarily in this order):
  • Written warning
  • Probation (Note: Athletes placed on probation are notified in writing that any misconduct while on probation is likely to result in dismissal from the camp.)
  • Housing assignment relocation or removal from housing
  • Restitution (for the repair or replacement of property)
  • Dismissal from the camp
  • Educational accompanying terms (e.g. reflection paper, apology letter, policy review paper) may be included

F.4. Camp Dismissal

In a case where a single serious violation occurs or where an athlete endangers the well-being of themselves and/or others, a decision may be made to dismiss the athlete immediately and without prior probation. This includes serious infractions that occur during the final days of the athlete’s camp. Such violations will result in withdrawal from the camp In cases of serious violations that lead to dismissal, the assistance of Brown University Department of Public Safety may be requested.

Athletes dismissed from the camp are notified in writing. A parent/guardian is notified immediately after the decision of dismissal has been made. Athletes dismissed from the camp are required to notify their parents/guardians, make travel arrangements, and depart from campus within 48 hours of the dismissal notification or at the close of the camp, whichever comes first. In cases of sexual and gender-based misconduct, the complainant will be notified of the finding, sanction, and any accompanying terms that impact them.

Athletes dismissed from the program are responsible for checking out of their room under the supervision of a residential staff member. If an athlete or parent is not able to pack their belongings, a moving company will be contracted by the University to inventory, pack, and ship the athlete’s belongings at the athlete’s own expense. The University is not responsible for any lost or damaged items.

Athletes who have been dismissed from any Brown Sports Camp for social, or residential violations will receive no refunds of any fees. Camp Coaching Staff including Brown University and visiting coaches will be notified of athletes who has been dismissed.

F.5. Appeals

If interested in appealing the decision in a case, the athlete may appeal, setting out the reason(s) for the appeal, within 24 hours of notification of the hearing outcomes. Appeals shall be submitted to the Dean for Pre-College and Undergraduate Programs in the Brown University Division of Pre-College and Summer Undergraduate Programs.

Appeals will normally be considered only when relevant new evidence not available at the time of the hearing is presented, or when a substantial procedural error by the hearing body/officer is demonstrated. Athletes are typically notified of the outcome of the appeal 24 hours from the time of submission. During the appeal process, the findings are in effect, (i.e. an athlete who is given probation is on probation, or if dismissed, the athlete will not be allowed to attend camp sessions, and may be temporarily moved out of their residence halls). The final decision of the Dean may not be appealed.

G. Financial Policies

G.1. Camp Payments

All sports camp fees must be paid in full at time of registration. Walk-in registration will be available onsite during the camp check in on a first come first serve, basis pending availability in the camp. Please visit specific camp pages for details.

G.2 Accepted Payment Methods

  • ACH (electronic check):
  • This method will be accepted for camp fee payments. ACH payments can only be processed by using a US personal checking or savings account. Corporate accounts are not allowed.
  • Credit Cards A (MC/Visa/AMEX/Discover) are accepted for camp fee payments.

G.3. Returned Payments

  • Returned ACH Payment: ACH payment clearing failures due to insufficient funds, incorrect account information, etc. will be notified via email.

G.4 Refund Policy

48-hour Registration Grace Period: If you register for a camp in error and subsequently would like to cancel your registration, you must notify us via email at within 48 hours from the time you registered. A full refund will be given provided written documentation is received within the 48 hour window.

Refunds are only permitted up to 30 days before the start of camp. For commuters and day camps a refund may be granted, less a $100 administrative fee. For residential camps a refund may be granted, less a $250 administrative fee.

After the 30-day window, only requests supported with proper medical documentation demonstrating illness or injury that prevents the athlete from participating in camp will receive a refund minus the administrative fees. No refunds are provided for a athlete that departs camp early for any reason including injuries sustained at camp.

All requests for refunds must be submitted in writing via email at and must be received no later than seven (7) days after the completion of the sports camp. Any requests submitted more than 7 days after the camp will not be accepted and you will forfeit your camp fees.

Please note: Non-refundable payments for athletes who withdraw may not be converted to a donation to the University.

G.5. Camp Transfers

Athletes may transfer to a different sports camp within the same sport, coaching staff, within the same summer without penalty provided there is available space. All requests for transfers must be submitted in writing via email at The difference in fee must be paid by the athlete, or if of less value, will be refunded.

A athlete’s registration may not be transferred to a camp that is not currently listed on the Brown Summer Sports Camps website.

G.6. In-Camp Attendance Changes

Athletes that change attendance options within a camp, including residential to commuter status later than 7 days prior to the start of camp are not eligible to receive a refund on the price difference. All requests for changes must be submitted in writing via email at

G.7. Health Insurance

All athletes are required to show proof of health insurance with a US carrier upon submission of the Medical Authorization and Health History Form. If you cannot provide proof of insurance you must purchase a limited insurance policy for the duration of the camp, you may do so for $25, per camp. To purchase, click here.