Sibley Scholarship awards are named in honor of former Dean Karen Sibley who led the development and growth of Brown’s Pre-College programs from 2003-2019. During that time, Dean Sibley was instrumental in significantly increasing the financial assistance available to students who could not otherwise attend our programs due to cost. Scholarships are awarded to students who demonstrate financial need. Need is determined by considering several factors, including:
- family income
- family size
- savings and investments
- housing and educational expenses
Please note that all students—including Sibley Scholarship recipients (but excluding PPSD and Partner Scholarship recipients)—are required to submit a $300 non-refundable program deposit to secure a spot in the summer program. If financial assistance is essential to your ability to attend the program, we recommend that you wait to pay the $300 non-refundable deposit until you have received your scholarship award decision.
If you meet the eligibility requirements, you will be able to apply for a Sibley Scholarship as soon as you submit your program application. At that time, a link to the scholarship application will become available in the Financial Information tab of your student portal. Although the scholarship application will be available for completion before an admission decision is made, a scholarship decision will only be sent to you if you are admitted to the program. Scholarship information is reviewed confidentially by the scholarship team only and does not influence admission decisions.
In order to qualify for a Sibley Scholarship, you must:
- be a U.S. Citizen or U.S. Permanent Resident, or hold undocumented or DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) status and be enrolled in a U.S. high school
- demonstrate financial need (tax forms and W2s will be required for submission)
- be accepted into the Brown Pre-College Program
- complete a Sibley Scholarship application, which includes uploading any required documentation by the scholarship application deadline
International students are not eligible for Sibley Scholarships.
Scholarship Application deadline: March 4, 2022.
- Upon submission of a Pre-College program application, a scholarship application link will become available in the Financial Information tab of your student portal.
- You are encouraged to apply as soon as possible as scholarship funds are limited and are disbursed on a first-applied-first-awarded basis, until funds are exhausted.
- Awards are made until scholarship funds are depleted, which could occur before the scholarship application submission deadline.
- We cannot guarantee that all applicants who apply for aid will receive scholarship assistance.
- Award notifications are sent out to admitted students on a rolling basis, usually within 3-5 business days of when we receive your completed scholarship application (including all required forms). Scholarship awarded notifications will not be sent out before an admission decision is released.
Award amounts vary depending on your family’s calculated ability to pay and the cost of the program/course. Minimally, all students must pay the $300 non-refundable program deposit.
- Sibley Scholarships may only be applied to one course per year, regardless of the number of courses you enroll in.
- Sibley Scholarships are applied to program fees only. For on-campus residential programs, program fees include the course fee, meals and housing. For Location-Based programs, program fees include the course fee (which includes meals and housing). For online programs, program fees include the course fee only.
Sibley Scholarships do not cover:
- course materials
- Brown-sponsored health insurance (if you do not already have proof of health insurance that is accepted in the U.S.)
- pre-arrival COVID-19 testing and vaccinations (if required)
- spending money (for shopping, off campus snacks, etc.)
- travel to and from campus or a location-based site, and other related travel expenses
Upon submission of a Pre-College application, a scholarship application link will become available in the Financial Information tab of your student portal.
The required materials to be completed in, or uploaded to, your student portal are:
- a Sibley Scholarship application
- parents’ or guardians’ filed and signed 2020 or 2021 federal tax return showing adjusted gross income (include a copy of each parent’s tax return, if filed separately)
- copies of all W-2(s) from the same year as the submitted tax return
- schedule C, Profit or Loss from Business, (or K-1) if the taxpayer is self-employed
- Only the first two pages of a Form 1040 tax return are required, with the “Profit or Loss from Business” page needed only if the taxpayer is self-employed.
- Do not include any other supplemental schedules, as they are not required for financial aid determination.
- Please strike out all social security numbers and bank routing information on your tax documentation before uploading.
- The scholarship review team may request additional information/documentation if clarification is needed in order to determine your scholarship eligibility. When this happens, we will provide you with a secure link to upload the needed material. Tax documents should never be sent by email.
If offered a Sibley Scholarship, you will accept the award by paying your $300 non-refundable deposit and registering for a course within the time period indicated in your award letter. Failure to do so will result in the forfeiture of the award.