If you will be studying with Brown Pre-College online, We are excited to get to know you, and eager for you to share your unique talents with us and with your classmates. Here are a few things to remember before the start of your course.
The week before your online course begins will serve as the course orientation, during which you will get to know Canvas (Brown's learning management system), review course expectations and strategies for your success, learn about your instructor and help us to learn a bit about you. These activities should take you just a few hours that week to complete at your own pace. We will send you an email the morning that your orientation begins with instructions explaining how to access your course and begin orientation activities.
You will begin working with your instructor and classmates on the course itself on the course start date in the Catalog.
In the interim, please be aware of this important information:
- Check your email regularly for communications from us. Email is the primary way we connect with students and their parents/guardians. If you would like to use a different email address than the one you provided during the application process, please email us at email@example.com.
- Required forms and a link to submit your payment will be added to your portal at the end of March. We will send you an email letting you know you may begin the forms process. If you need services or accommodations due to a disability or medical condition, you may email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Students are expected to remain active in their online course, engage with course material, and complete all course assignments on time. Inactivity in a course without communication with the instructor will result in a student being dropped from the course. Students dropped for lack of participation are not eligible for a refund.
- More details on what to expect, including virtual workshops and events, will be sent in future email communications. Please remember to check your email regularly.
- Check back on this page for complete onboarding instructions. This information will be made available around the first week of April.
- Be sure to complete all forms and submit payment by the stated deadlines. Failure to do so could result in cancellation of your enrollment.
Our online courses are facilitated in one of three modalities—please confirm your course's modality in your student portal. The three possible modalities are:
Asynchronous: The course will be offered entirely asynchronously, meaning, you won’t be meeting with your classmates or instructor during a pre-set time, giving you the opportunity to set your own schedule each day, and allowing for the most flexibility and self-directed learning.
- Mostly asynchronous: The course will include a majority of asynchronous content and optional opportunities for live sessions with your instructor and classmates to supplement course material.
- Blended: The course will include asynchronous content and 1 to 3 prescheduled, required live sessions each week. These required live sessions are integral to the course experience. The times for these synchronous sessions will be listed in the course meeting time no later than April 30, 2024.
Please note that online courses do not include a residential component. You will not have a residence hall or housing assigned at Brown during your enrollment.
Finally, we invite you to join the Brown Pre-College conversation by using #BrownPreCollege and #SummerAtBrown when posting to Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, LinkedIn and Facebook.